Friday, June 15, 2007

Three Strikes Against Homemade Pasta



Turns out homemade pasta is really hard to make. The recipe in the italian cookbook you see at the left says that the basic recipe for pasta is 1 cup of flour for every egg with 1/4 tsp of oil and a pinch of salt. With two cups of flour, I had to use 3 eggs. Strike one.


After that, it was kneading time or, in other words, forearm workout. The dough ended up pretty smooth and elastic but sadly I didn't roll it thin enough. Strike two. My attempts were made with a rolling pin...now I know why I was advised not to try making homemade pasta without a pasta maker. It would have been much easier to feed in the dough and turn a crank. Needless to say we didn't eat it, which would be strike three.


Accompanying the pasta was a Sauce Vierge (literally meaning "virgin sauce" in French) which I found in the Cordon Bleu Professional Cooking book. This textbook set me back about $90 Canadian but it was well worth the buy even though I can't try everything or it would send my food budget through the roof. Anyways, the sauce is very good. Its sharp, tangy taste is mellowed out by the olive oil and tender tomatoes. Here's the recipe.


Sauce Vierge

7oz 200ml Olive oil
4oz 110ml Lemon juice
2tsp 7g Garlic, chopped
1 tbsp 7g Basil, chopped
51/2oz 160g Tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
2oz 50g Black olives, diced
Salt
pepper
Hot pepper sauce

1. Warm olive oil
2. Add other ingredients
3. Serve warm over pasta

No comments: