Saturday, March 22, 2008

Dulce de Leche con Leche de Cabra

I bought goat millk from the same guy I bought the goose eggs from. A big 4 litre jug costs me $5. I got home with it, poured it into the biggest pot I have and incorperated 1 and 1/3 cup of organic cane sugar for every 4 cups of milk. Also very important is the 1/3 tsp of baking soda you need to add to make the chemical reaction that turns sweet milk into caramel.

I learnt this the hard way. I didn’t have any baking soda so I figured that I could do without it and started simmering away. Well the thing with cooking milk or cooking something like custard is that you must stir it continually or things will curdle. I stirred for about 2 and a half hours, my arms almost falling off my sides when I finally asked my girlfriend to run to the corner store and get me some baking soda. Pop the backing soda in, the mixture foamed, and within 20 minutes I had caramel. So a recipe that already takes a good hour to make took me three hours because I didn’t follow the recipe. That’s probably the primary reason why I hate backing. Everything is so crucial to the chemical composition of the dish.
Anyways, I finally ended up with a tonne of caramel which I’m slowly distributing. Though the caramel should usually have that aftertaste you get with goat cheese, this one isn’t really strong. I don’t know if it’s because the goat milk I buy is over-pasteurized or what but the caramel is delicious nonetheless. Great on toast or on a crepe with bananas and mango. Or mixed with nuts and granules of raw sugar to make a caramel candy. The possibilities are endless.

4 comments:

Massagem said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Massagem, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://massagem-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Computador said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Computador, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://computador-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Evie said...

Hi Stone Spoon,

My name is Shannon and I'm the editorial assistant at Foodbuzz.com. I am very impressed with the quality of your posts and to that end, I’d like to invite you to be a part of our newly launched Foodbuzz Featured Publisher program. I would love to send you more details about the program, so if you are interested, please email me at Shannon@foodbuzz.com.
You have beautiful photos.

Cheers!

Shannon Eliot
Editorial Assistant, Foodbuzz.com
shannon@foodbuzz.com

ethelmacias said...

Great! Congratulations to your award! You deserve it. i also appreciate the bloggers at www.blog.gourmetrecipe.com for having great articles that are really inspiring to the readers. Their articles also include cuisines that are nutritious and delicious that you'll surely love. In addition, www.gourmandia.fr and www.allthemeat.com also have lot of delightful recipes that you might wanna try.