Tuesday, November 18, 2008

New Energy Star Windows!

Ok. I know that new windows have little to do with food but for me, food, self-sustainability and environmental responsibility are all interelated. Plus the new windows let alot more light into my kitchen which makes for a more enjoyable atmosphere.

Considering that the windows in my apartment last winter were as good as useless, I was really excited when my landlord told us that he would be changing the windows. Plus he didn't cheap out. He went for the Energy Star rated windows. If you're unaware of what the Energy Star rating system is, you can visit http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/energystar/english/consumers/index.cfm. Basically, it means that the appliances or windows or other items bearing this mark are efficient at performing the duty they were meant to perform. Appliances don't consume excessive amounts of energy to get the job done. Windows retain heat and keep out the cold. All in all, one should never buy anything that's inneficient and which contributes to the destruction of our global environment.

No comments: