Sunday, February 3, 2008

Duck Tenderloin with Clementine Couli

The French guy at the market had packaged of duck tenderloins for sale this week. I mean duck is already a treat, but having the choice of nothing but the tenderloin is the epitomization of having your cake and eating it too. The wild, almost steaklike taste, coupled with the soft texture of chicken is what makes duck so enjoyable to me. It's so much better than both beef and chicken that I don't know why it's not more readily available than what it is. Yet given that duck is not a usual guest at the dinner table, I don't have thousands of ideas for it. True I could treat it as I would a roast or chicken or a steak but I figured the usual combination of duck with orange would be a safe bet. So off I went making a mild couli of clementine juice and zest with a tad bit of sugar and drizzling it on top of the gammy tenderloins I'd simply cooked in some butter till the exterior was crispy but the interior was still pinkish. It's a beautiful thing to be able to treat oneself.

No comments: